Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Two Steps Forward Five Steps Back

Okay, I know that's not exactly how the saying goes, but that's my interpretation right now. And what, one may ask, has me feeling this way? Well, there are a few things.

The first situation we need to examine is only partially my fault. I say only, partially 'cause certain people convinced me this was a good idea. And said good idea? Nothing less than a KAL for the Swallowtail Shawl. Now don't get me wrong, it's a lovely pattern, see:

Well written, nice clear charts, etc., etc. However, there seems to be the knitting equivalent to PEBCK happening here (for those of you who don't speak computereze, this means Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard). Yep, it seems I am a dumbass who can't count to three on a regular and ongoing basis. Sigh.

The second situation contributing to the 5 steps back feeling? Well, that'd be this house. I you remember last week we had ourselves a plumbing situation. After some time and more $$ than I'd like to have spent (think of the yarn that could have been) I got that mostly sorted out. There's still a tap that needs replacing, but I think I'm just going to have to figure out how to do that by myself, even if it kills me. Oh, and does anyone know of a plumbing equivalent to the Knitting Help videos? All in all though, sounds things are improving, right? That's what I thought too, ha! The house was just waiting. It seems that now the side door on the garage is not latching properly. In a strong wind, the door now pops/blows open. And what is one of Calgary's weather's most notable features? Yeah, strong winds. Of course, I'm not even going to mention the furnace, the fence that's falling down or the mouse (mice?) in the compost bin.

And the final 5 steps back situation? That'd be the house shaking project. The one that designed to make life easier? Not so much. A month later I have 3 messy/unusable spaces where before there was one messy/unusable space, one semi-messy/inconvenient space and one lovely living room. But that, well, it could be a post all on it's own. And it might just be, maybe even with pictures to illustrate.


Liza {who really needs to remember that other saying. The one that goes "Those who fail to plan, should plan to fail" or at least should be prepared for a mess. Just saying}

No comments: