Sunday, March 16, 2008

Beware the Ides of March

This line popped into my head yesterday when I changed the date on the calendar by my knitting spot.


However, unlike Caesar, I don't have to worry about assassination, only bad knitting.

I dunno what I've done to anger the knitting gods, but for the past few days everything I've done has been, well, crap. The Swallowtail Shawl hasn't progressed since Wednesday.

I've worked on it, but have ended up going backwards! Very frustrating.

So, I thought I should do something else and on Friday brought several different projects to TGIF at Make One. The first thing I went with was the Sleeveless Wrap Top from Blue Sky Alpacas.

Uh, yeah, that was a no go. Then I pulled out the second sock (of the second pair) of #6 on my MP 2008 list. The sock that I said earlier this month was at the gusset. Um, no it wasn't, however I didn't clue into this fact and blew right past the need for the heel turn and started picking up stitches.

It was at that point that I decided to give up and cast on for some brainless knitting in the form of a roll-brim hat that I'll donate to charity. It seems this is what the knitting gods wanted me to do, as that project moved smoothly for the rest of TGIF and I was able to continue on easily at Pub Nite (it's at the crown shaping).

I think I was being sent a message, but I'm not sure what exactly the message was. Was I getting to cocky with my knitting? Or was this a reminder that sometimes I need to stop focusing so hard on myself and look at the bigger picture?

Either way, I did end up with a mental list of things I need to remember:

1) Read ahead in the pattern.

2) Before ripping out what you did before you read ahead in the pattern, make sure that any changes you make are actually needed, as your style of knitting may not match exactly with the pattern designers.

3) Check for errata.

4) Please learn to count to three!?!

Oh, and I forgot this one:

5) Because your memory is, well, less than reliable (no really?), when picking up a project after a protracted break, it is not a bad idea to review what's been done so far and what still needs to be done. Even if you're sure, you know where you left off. And a quick glance at the pattern wouldn't go amiss either.

Liza {who's avoiding the whole issue today, by spending it with her fabric stash}

No comments: