Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Sock Bandwagon

It was a couple of years ago that Liza told me she was going to take a knitting sock class. My reaction, why would you do that? What purpose is there to knit socks? I mean...you can get 4 pair for $5.00 at any Walmart or Zellers...why knit them?
Over the last couple of years I have watched Liza and many others knit socks. At M1 SnB I have listened to many talk about the sock yarn they have just gotten, the pattern that they were going to knit on their next pair, the pattern they were designing for knitting socks. Let me tell you, it was overwhelming and frankly, I felt totally out of the loop. I decided I was going to take a class....no classes available at M1 for at least a month. To understand this issue, you need to understand that when I get an idea in my head, it has to happen now....not in a month, not in a week....NOW!! I couldn't wait that long! So, over to the patterns I go to see if there is a pattern that will walk me through the process of knitting socks. Of course this is rather funny considering I suck at reading patterns...why do I think I will be able to actually accomplish this? Because I am desperate....remember I must do it NOW!! Obviously Knitting Grammy heard the desperation in my voice as she offered to meet me at M1 that Friday afternoon to teach me the miracle knitting of socks. So, over the next couple of Friday afternoons Knitting Grammy and I met at M1 and went through the process of knitting a sock....the final outcome....
My first sock made out of Opal Sock yarn. Dega, my oldest cat, checking it out. Yes, I did make the second sock. So I now have a matching pair and I am now hooked on knitting socks. And yes, I now know why people knit socks rather than just buying all at Walmart or Zellers.
My second pair is made out of Tofutsies (picture to come at a later date). My third pair which I casted on last night are again out of Tofutsies. Yes, I know...boring doing it out of the same type of yarn but I was desperate last night to start something new and all my other sock yarn needs to be wound.......hmmm... LIZA!!

3 comments:

Bellflower said...

Welcome to the dark side Baby!

carmelclose said...

Glad to hear that you like the Bandwagon - isn't it fun!! Had a great time yesterday at the Zoo, see ya' Friday for the 1st Annual (LOL) Yarn Crawl and excessive spending of money and excessive drinking of Starbucks!!!!

Bellflower said...

Dammit guys! Freakin' post something new already! :-) Pleeze?